The modern and hectic lifestyles of today have brought significant mental ailments. These diseases differ from person to person and entail issues such as stress, depression among others. Depression has been escalating in the contemporary world which has affected many lives. There are many treatments available for curing depression and Ayurveda turns out to be the best among them.
What causes depression?
- Prolonged ailment: a person might be suffering from any particular physical disorder such as diabetes, heart disease or any other disease which makes him worried consistently and leads his mind to a depressive state.
- Head injury: if a person’s head is injured, it can affect his mental state and increase the risk of being affected by depression.
- Type of person: pessimistic and unsuccessful people are bound to be affected by depression.
How to identify depression?
- the person is found to be sad persistently
- an unwanted feeling of shame or guilt
- loss of appetite
- taking absolutely no interest in the once loved activities
- low self-esteem
How does Ayurveda classify depression?
Ayurveda divides depression into three broad categories:
- Vata depression: this type of depression is characterized by a feeling of fear, anxiety, insomnia, and nervousness.
- Pitta depression: this is related to a feeling of anger, fear, and loss of control.
- Kapha depression: Ayurveda classifies this as being in the condition of extreme heaviness in terms of excessive sleep, drowsiness, or weight.
How does Ayurveda help to overcome depression?
- Peppermint: it is believed to treat nervous disorders. Peppermint has a cooling effect to it. It is found to treat depression by cooling down the nervous system with the action of relaxing the worn out muscles. It is most effective who face sleep issues and anxiety issues.
- Spikenard: this herb is responsible for putting people to sleep. Depression is a result of an unstable mind. When the mind gets adequate sleep, it is relaxed and depression is controlled. The herb is composed of elements that are an anti-depressant, anti-stress as well as anti-fatigue. The roots of this herb are effective in correcting mood swing and stress disorders.
- Ashwagandha: this herb is composed of elements such as steroid lactones, alkaloids among many others. They contain anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties. These are effective in decreasing stress considerably which is a result of emotional and physical tiredness.
- Brahmi: this herb does the wonderful work of raising the serotonin level. This helps to keep the mind at peace and fight stress and depression significantly.
Overall, Ayurveda identifies the point of inception of depression and treats it accordingly without causing any repercussion to the person suffering from depression.